The making of Platformance: Castle Pain – Part 1
Designing the hero for Castle Pain was a bit tricky. At first we decided the hero had to be small because the whole level design would depend on its size. The smaller the hero the more corridors and rooms we could put on screen.
1. The very first design fits in a 10×12 rectangle. Its pretty hard to fit a helmet, boots, hands … in 10×12. Frustration lead to not so exciting designs (looks like a penguin with a helmet and purple shirt…)
2. Realizing 10×12 was a bit small to be acceptable we decided to add a couple more pixels to its size. This is the 12×14 version of the hero. A big head, hands showing, some sturdy boots, and a royal red shirt…
3. Adding a cape to the previous design. Cape is cool, cape is knight.
4. Whats a knight without a sword. He looks proud with a sword (Though his sword is of no help to solve the challenges in the game🙂 )
5. Horns! Horns on helmet looks tough and savage!
6. The final design fits in a 16×16 square. Adding a couple more pixels helped define the shapes. His helmet is even bigger and so are his boots. He also keeps all the features from the previous designs that define him as a badass : cape, sword, horns.
Some of the inspiration may have come from great heros like theses:
Ghosts n Goblins